Be bear wise
Click here for information on how to prevent bear encounters.
When to call 9-1-1
Call 9-1-1 if a bear poses an immediate threat to personal safety. Emergencies might be when a bear:
- enters a school yard when school is in session;
- enters or tries to enter a residence;
- wanders into a public gathering;
- kills livestock/pets and lingers at the site; or
- stalks people and lingers at the site.
If none of the above emergencies apply, call Ontario's Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry's Bear Wise reporting line at 1-866-514-2327, which operates from April 1st to November 30st.
Call this number when a bear is:
- roaming around, checking garbage cans,
- breaking into a shed where garbage or food is stored,
- in a tree,
- pulling down a bird feeder or knocking over a barbecue, or
- moving through a backyard or field but is not lingering.