We are a team of 94 police officers and 62 civilians.
Our civilian personnel include:
- 9-1-1 call-takers;
- police and fire dispatchers;
- forensic identification officers;
- special constables;
- clerical staff responsible for fleet maintenance, clothing and equipment, care and control of evidence and property, records management and other administrative duties;
- human resources personnel;
- information technology personnel,
- building maintenance personnel; and
- a corporate communications coordinator.
Together, we provide police services for the City of North Bay and the Municipality of Callander—a jurisdiction that is home to a combined population of 55,416 residents. The area is comprised of urban and rural settings, bordered by water, forests and wetlands.
Our 9-1-1 Communications Centre is the central emergency response bureau for North Bay and Callander. In other words, all local calls to 9-1-1 for police, fire and ambulance are answered by North Bay Police Service personnel.
Our staff at the North Bay Court House are responsible for providing court security, prisoner transportation and court case management, which involves assisting the Crown Attorney with Crown briefs and case files for the efficient prosecution of court cases.
A safe, engaged and inclusive community.
Through strength in our members and collaboration with our community partners, the North Bay Police Service provides progressive and responsive policing to our public.
Core police services
Under Ontario’s Police Services Act, every municipality must provide adequate and effective police services in accordance with its needs.
This must include, at a minimum, all of the following police services:
- Crime prevention
- Law enforcement
- Assistance to victims of crime
- Public order maintenance
- Emergency response
Our police partnerships
The North Bay Police Service has strong working relationships with local police services:
- the Ontario Provincial Police, whose jurisdiction consists of provincial highways, navigable waterways, and surrounding rural communities;
- the 22 Military Police Flight, who provide police services to the Canadian Armed Forces base in North Bay;
- the West Nipissing Police Service, whose members serve Sturgeon Falls and surrounding areas; and
- the Anishnabek Police Service, whose members provide police services to our neighbours on Nipissing First Nation and Dokis First Nation.
The North Bay Police Services Board provides direction and guidance to the North Bay Police Service while ensuring that adequate and effective police services are delivered in accordance with legislative requirements and the needs of the communities we serve. Visit the section dedicated to the North Bay Police Services Board for more information.
Our Command Staff
The City of North Bay's population, in accordance with 2016 Statistics Canada data, is 51,553. North Bay covers an area of approximately 136 square kilometres.
The Municipality of Callander's population, in accordance with 2016 Statistics Canada data, is 3,863. Callander covers an area of approximately 106 square kilometres.